We perform many types of orthopedic (bone) surgeries in our animal hospital. Because we want to ensure that our patients receive the best possible outcome, we occasionally refer them to board-certified orthopedic surgeons to perform back surgery and other very complex surgeries.
Leg fractures are the most common orthopedic problem presented at our clinic and usually result from a mishap with an automobile. They can be treated in a variety of ways depending on the location and type of fracture. We can apply a cast to treat certain fractures; however, many fractures will require surgical intervention:
- “Pinning” stabilizes the fracture by inserting a long stainless steel rod into the middle of the bone across the fractured area.
- “Plating” involves attaching a flat stainless steel plate to the bone using screws on either side of the fracture.
- “External fixation” stabilizes fractures using a series of pins on the outside of the leg that pass through the skin and into the bone on either side of the fracture.
We also perform a lot of orthopedic surgeries related to hip dysplasia and disc disease. Please contact the pet hospital if you have any questions about these procedures or if you think your pet might benefit from them.
Explore Our Complete List of Veterinary Services in Kingsport, TN
- MMP Surgery
- Medical Assessment
- Chemotherapy and Cancer Treatment
- Veterinary Specialist Referrals
- airVet Telemedicine
- Preventative Services
- Health Screening Tests
- Breeding Services
- Anesthesia and Patient Monitoring
- Soft Tissue Surgery
- Dental Care
- Wellness Exams
- Spay & Neuter